Full Cittamani Tara Approach Retreat (Enabling Action)
Time & Location
About the event
Full Approach Retreat and Fire Puja
- with Venerable Yönten
Land of Joy, July 2021
Arya Tāra (Tib. Drol-ma) the “liberator” swiftly delivers the blessings of the buddhas and bodhisattvas to those who make their mind’s receptive through deep practice, particularly in a retreat setting. She can do this since she is the manifestation of the purified state of action-wind of all the buddhas. We can experience this transformation because we already have Buddha-potential.
During tumultuous times, this practice becomes especially vital for clearing inner and outer obstacles and bringing protection. Through deep retreat practice, we come closer to Cittamani Tarā and strengthen our altruistic motivation and ability to more directly benefit ourselves and others.
The retreat of Cittamani Tāra is a unique and profound practice of highest yoga tantra highly revered and practiced by Tibetan Buddhists everywhere including our living examples of Tara energy, like His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa Rinpoche as well as other great masters such as Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo and the late Chöden Rinpoche and Lama Thubten Yeshe.
This retreat will be led by Bhikshuni Lozang Yönten, a senior nun known for her open and friendly style. There will be room in the schedule for sadhana instruction, discussion and Q & A with Ven. Yönten for those interested, or space for private contemplation and rest for those wanting to minimize interactions and stimuli. Whether retreaters choose to do the retreat in silence or with verbal interaction, warmth and flexibility are the culture we want to cultivate during our time together.
The retreat will be structured in the formal Highest Yoga Tantra Approach Retreat format (including the numerical accumulation of mantras and purifying fire puja) so all retreaters will need to have certain prerequisites to participate, this is to enable everyone to maximize their retreat and to not create obstacles for themselves and others:
1) You must have specifically received a Cittamani Tarā empowerment (different from the commonly given kriya tantra version, the Green Tara jenang) from a qualified Mahayana Vajra-Guru. The registration form will ask for details.
2) You must have maintained your daily Tantric commitment of Six Session Guru Yoga since your last Highest Yoga Tantra Empowerment of any deity. Or, if you are qualified to do and have done self-empowerment of a deity that you have completed an approach retreat of, immediately prior to the retreat, this is ok too.
· For questions related to broken samaya, please see your own Lama for advice before signing up for the retreat.
3) You must attend all four sadhana sessions each day (on time) for the duration of the retreat, even if you finish your mantra count early.
· This is to maintain a supportive group retreat atmosphere.
· The Sadhana classes, Q & As and discussion group sessions are optional.
4) You must stay within your physical retreat boundary for the duration of the retreat.
· If you are staying offsite, during the boundary setting session, you will can expand it to include your accommodation and the path you’ll travel each day.
· Except for emergencies of course.
5) You must have stable mental and physical health.
· If you are currently stable but have a history of physical or mental illness, this does not necessarily preclude you from the retreat but TELL US in advance as well as your specific plan for if something happens.
i. Many types of positive and negative karmas ripen in retreat and so we expect the best but plan for the worst. This information will be kept 100% confidential by Venerable Yönten and the Land of Joy staff but 100% needs to be shared.
1) Electronics are permitted but (!!!) only for retreat specific purposes, such as tablets to read Cittamani Tarā commentaries off of and morning alarms, however you will need to keep them on airplane mode for the duration of the retreat.
· You may not send texts or emails, make calls or use social media of any kind during the retreat – what a relief! J
· Electronics will not be allowed in the Gompa so if you may want to bring a separate torch/flashlight.
2) Bring two Malas
· One is your retreat specific mala and it should have its own small bag and be left in the Gompa throughout the whole retreat.
· The other is for doing your other practices.
3) Tantric implements
· Dorje and Bell are needed but the Damaru is optional.
· Bring your inner offering (or bring a small jar with alcohol so that we can add an inner offering pill into it).